Who's Ready for the Italian Treasure Hunt?
Celebrations of Festa della Repubblica have always been grandiose at the Italian Consulate, as well as throughout other Italian institutions in New York.
This year the fun begins the day before with an Italian Treasure Hunt, a contest which will actively involve the entire community. The prizes are fantastic thanks to donations by renown Italian companies (Bulgari, Alitalia, D&G, Maserati just to name a few).
But the First prize is particularly special, maybe because it is as much Italian as it is New York - like! Can't you just see yourself zooming along Fifth Ave or zig-zaging through the streets of Brooklyn on a bright red Vespa S150?
Well what are you waiting for? Read the rules and register to participate in the Italian Treasure Hunt Contest now!
Italian Treasure Hunt Contest - Terms and Conditions
Sponsor is the Consulate General of Italy in New York, 690 Park Avenue, New York, NY 10065 (hereinafter: "Sponsor”). TERM The Italian Treasure Hunt will take place on June 1, 2014 from 12.00 pm EST to 6.00 pm EST (the “Contest”). Information on how to participate and on the prizes are part of these official rules ("Official Rules"). By participating, each participant agrees to the Official Rules and warrants that his or her participation complies with all requirements set out in the Official Rules. Contest is open to participants over the age of 16. Participants under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult (of 18 years of age or older). Current employees of Sponsor and persons involved in the organization of the Contest are not eligible.
HOW TO ENTER AND PARTICIPATE
· In order to participate, participants need to be part of a team with a minimum of two (2) members to a maximum of five (5) members, inclusive of the accompanying person in case of participants under the age of 16 (the “Team”).
· Each Team shall register by sending an e-mail with subject: Registration Italian Treasure Hunt to the following e-mail address [email protected] on or before May 29, 2014 at 6.00 pm EST, indicating the identity of the participants, the date of birth, the contact information, the other Team members and the name of the Team. The Sponsor reserves the right to close the registration upon reaching the maximum capacity on the base of first come first served. Each Team will receive an email from Sponsor by May 30, 2014, confirming the online registration.
· The Contest requires the Teams to collect and solve all the clues. The first one will be given at the starting point; once solved, the Team will move to the second hidden location where it will be given a second clue and so on until the final hidden location. The Teams must bring all the clues found with the proof of arrival at each hidden location consisting of digital pictures and a stamp in the “passport” given to each Team, to Sponsor on or before 6.00 pm EST located at 690 Park Avenue, New York, NY 10065 (“Hunting Starting Point” and “Hunting Ending Point”).
The “passport”, a score sheet for answers to clues, and an envelope with the first clue will be delivered by the Sponsor to the registered Teams at the beginning of the Contest. No team will open the envelope with the first clue before the announcement that the Contest has started at 12.00 pm.
· Confirmation of the registration and participation will occur at the Hunting Starting Point, between 11.00 am EST and 11.45 am EST on June 1, 2014, where each Team shall present itself (with all the members) to pick up the documentation, and to submit payment as indicated below. · Each Team shall pay Thirty and 00/100 US Dollars ($30.00) in order to participate in the contest at the Hunting Starting Point between 11.00 am EST and 11.45 am EST on June 1, 2014 by presenting a money order payable to the Consulate General of Italy.
· All Teams must arrive at the Hunting Ending Point no later than 6.00 pm on June 1, 2014. Teams that do no respect such timeline will be disqualified.
· Teams can use any means of travel, but they must stay together, and they must be at the same hidden location at the same time (i.e. they must stay within sight and earshot of each other). Members of each Team should not run ahead of their Team members to solve clues.
· If a Team member needs to leave the Contest for emergency reasons, he/she can do so and shall inform Sponsor via email immediately. Such participant shall not be allowed to rejoin the Team. Each Team shall always have at least two (2) members in order to be eligible for the final prizes.
· Teams are allowed to use knowledge resources which exist independently of the Treasure Hunt. Provided those resources don’t violate any of the other rules, teams are encouraged to use bookstores, libraries, shop vendors, town historians, both online and in person, to assist with clues.
· Teams may use smartphones or mobile internet devices. While teams can use the internet, its utilization for getting help to solve a clue will in no way exempt the Team from visiting the hidden location, where they will get the next clue.
· Teams cannot move, tamper with, destroy, or otherwise alter the answers at the hidden locations.
· Answers on the score sheet should be legible and exact. In order for Teams to receive credit for a correct answer, the Sponsor must be able to read the Team’s answer and it should be the only answer for that clue. Neither partially correct answers nor multiple answers for the same clue will be accepted.
The payment is non-refundable except in the event that the Treasure Hunt is cancelled due to extreme or dangerous weather conditions (these can include: thunder storms, heavy snow, heavy rain and freezing conditions) existing during the Contest, based on the sole discretion of the Sponsor. The Sponsor will contact all attendees by email. In addition, Sponsor will post a notice on the following website http://www.consnewyork.esteri.it/Consolato_NewYork.
· The Team who will solve all the clues and will arrive first at the Hunting Ending Point will be the Winner of the Contest. The Winning team will receive a red Vespa Piaggio S150. The Winner shall be responsible for: PDI, Freight Charges, Taxes, Registration, and pick up of the Vespa at the dealer located in Brooklyn (details will be provided to the Winner separately) on or before July 31, 2014. If the Winner pick up the Vespa on or before July 1, 2014, there will be no additional charge; however, if the Winner picks up the Vespa after July 1, 2014 (and on or before July 31, 2014), Winner shall be responsible for the payment of $10/day for the storage of the Vespa (method of payment to be communicated separately). The Winner shall claim the Vespa by July 31, 2014, otherwise the Winner loses the right to it.
· In case two or more Teams will solve all the clues and arrive simultaneously to the Hunting Ending Point, the Winning team will be selected through a draw.
· Based on the order of arrival of the other teams, many additional prizes will be distributed according to their value (brands may include, but are not limited to, Bulgari, Tod’s, Ferragamo, D&G, Brooks Brothers, Davines, Maserati, Valentino, Alitalia and many others)
· In the event no Team finishes the contest within the time limit indicated above, the Winning Team will be the one which collected the most clues and disclosed the most hidden locations. In case more than one Team has solved the same amount of clues and disclosed the same amount of locations, the winning team will be selected through a draw.
· The Winning team will be announced on June 2, 2014 at 7.00 pm at the Consulate General of Italy (Hunting Starting Point” and “Hunting Ending Point”)
· No prize transfer, assignment or substitution by winners permitted. Each Team will win one prize and the Sponsor will not provide separate prizes. Each Team must find an internal agreement on the division of the prize.
Participants will be outside for most of the event. Therefore, Sponsor highly encourages them to wear clothing that is suitable for the weather conditions on the day. Flexible and comfortable clothing and sensible footwear. A waterproof jacket is always a good idea just in case it starts raining.
By entering the Contest, all participants grant an irrevocable perpetual non-exclusive license to Sponsor, to reproduce, distribute, display and create derivative works in connection with the Contest and promotion of the Contest, in any media now or hereafter known, including, but not limited to, future advertising and marketing. Sponsor will not be required to pay any additional consideration or seek any additional approval in connection with such use. Additionally, by participating, each participant grants to Sponsor the unrestricted right to use all statements made in connection with the Contest, and pictures or likenesses of Contest participants. However, Sponsor may choose not to use all statements made in connection with the Contest, and pictures or likenesses of Contest participants, at its sole discretion. Sponsor will not be required to pay any additional consideration or seek any additional approval in connection with such use.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
By participating in this Contest, all participants agree to release, discharge and hold harmless Sponsor and any and all hidden locations, and their partners, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising agencies, agents, employees, officers, directors, and representatives from any claims, losses, and damages arising out of their participation in this Contest or any Contest-related activities and the acceptance and use, misuse, or possession of any prize awarded hereunder. By participating in this Contest, all participants knowingly and freely assume any risk of injury from the activities involved in this Contest, both known and unknown, even if arising from the negligence of Sponsor, any of the hidden locations and/or others, and assume full responsibility for their participation. Sponsor is not liable for any losses or damage to clothing, footwear or personal effects. It is the responsibility of any participant to inform Sponsor if they have any illness, disability or injury. Participants are responsible for their own safety throughout the Contest. Hazards can include: traffic, canals, rivers. Participants are responsible for their own actions throughout the Contest. Laws and regulations should not be broken and participants should behave in a responsible manner. Sponsor is NOT responsible for any additional expenses incurred by participants under any circumstances. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, or delay in operation or transmission; communications line failure; theft or destruction of or unauthorized access to Contest registration; or alteration of Contest registration. Sponsor is not responsible for any problems with or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail to be received on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any Web site, human errors of any kind, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to entrants' or any other persons' computers related to or resulting from participation, uploading or downloading of any materials related to in this Contest.
This Contest is VOID WHERE PROHIBITED. Participants agree that this Contest shall be subject to and governed by the laws of the State of New York without reference to its conflict of laws principles, and the forum for any dispute shall be in the state of New York, United States of America. To the extent permitted by law, any participant expressly waives the right to litigate, to seek injunctive relief or to make any other recourse to judicial or any other procedure in case of disputes or claims resulting from or in connection with this Contest. Certain restrictions may apply. By entering and participating, participants also agree (a) to be bound by these Official Rules; (b) that the decisions are final and binding with respect to all matters relating to the Contest; and (c) that, Sponsor may use each Team and Team member’s name, likeness, and/or voice in any publicity or advertising relating to the Contest or future promotions without compensation or approval (except where prohibited by law). All federal, state/provincial/territorial and local taxes, fees and surcharges and taxes (whether foreign or domestic, and including income, sales, and import taxes) on prizes are the sole responsibility of the prize winners. In the event that the selected winner(s) of any prize are/ is ineligible, or refuses the prize, the prize will be forfeited and Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may choose whether to award the prize to another participant. The Sponsor reserves the right to verify the validity of any Participation and/or participant (including information concerning identity, mailing address, telephone number, email address, ownership of right or non-compliance with these Official Rules or the like) and to disqualify any participant whose participation is not in accordance with these Official Rules or who tampers with the Contest process. Failure by the Sponsor to enforce any of its rights at any stage does not constitute a waiver of those rights.
RIGHT TO CANCEL OR SUSPEND CONTEST
If for any reason the Contest is not capable of running as planned, due to infection by computer virus, bugs, worms, trojan horses, denial of service attacks, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of Sponsor that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Contest, Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual(s) who tamper with the Contest process, and/ or to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the Contest. If Sponsor elects to cancel or terminate the Contest, Sponsor will not retain any rights to Participants.
Participants and Teams agree that personal data, especially name and address, may be processed, shared and otherwise used for the purposes and within the context of the Contest and any other purposes outlined in these Official Rules, including further communications from Sponsor not related to this Contest. The data may also be used by the Sponsor in order to verify the participant's identity, postal address and telephone number or to otherwise verify the participant's eligibility to participate in the Contest. Participants have the right to access, review, rectify or cancel any personal data held by Sponsor by writing by mail to Sponsor at Consulate General of Italy, 690 Park Avenue, New York, NY 10065.