How to Set a Festive Table
At Eataly, we believe that one of the greatest sources of joy is what happens around the dinner table. As you plan your next celebration, discover how to eat, drink, and be merry around the most festive table.
Our entertainment experts at Eataly have kindly given us the five most important steps to setting the table, from spoon to centerpiece.
1. It’s difficult to be simple. But for dinner parties and holiday celebrations, simplicity is key. We love the look of white plates with jewel-colored accents, like red or blue. Only include the utensils, glassware, and dinnerware that your guests will need to use during the course of the meal. The table will look more elegant, and your guests will feel more comfortable.
2. Be creative with the centerpiece. We all love a good bouquet; however, centerpieces need not be floral. Consider a clear bowl with kumquats, oranges, crab apples, pinecones or a bowl of classic ornaments. An antique lamp or candelabra surrounded by holly and berries would also make your table a warm, cozy environment for your loved ones to gather around.
3. Let it shine. Try placing long-stemmed candles over a mirror as small votive. If you have an overhead light, cover it with a cream-colored scarf to soften the atmosphere, allowing your guests to relax and stay awhile.
4. Recycle. Empty wine or water bottles can be transformed into the ultimate holiday candleholders. Add tapered candles and tie a lush silver or gold ribbon around the bottle.
5. Add the finishing touches. Your guests will love the charming, subtle finishing touches to your table. Decorate the dining room chairs with scarves or tie the napkins with wire-edge silver or gold ribbon and thread in tiny ornaments. In the spirit of the season, you can leave a small gift for each guest, like a piece of chocolate or a deeply-colored votive!